Wednesday 5 October 2011

Day 6 - en route to Wotton under Edge

I lost my hat today. I've got to say that I don't much like wearing hats and I am certainly not a fan of baseball caps, on anyone, least of all myself. Stephen once commented that a baseball cap made my head look disproportionately small (I've tried looking for the silver lining in this comment, believe me) but whatever the case I was the owner of a baseball cap, until today. I think I only ever wore it when I first purchased it and earlier this week - it has to be pretty hot for me to concede defeat - in fact rather like it was both a few days ago and in Florida 10 years ago. I bought it whilst we were at Universal Studios and as such it had the inevitable logo splashed across the front (another thing I really don't much approve of) but at least this wasn't a sports team or a fashion house brand. Anyway, it's now gone. I'm not sure if it decided to go hang gliding off Cam Long Down, take in the longer scenic route around Stinchcombe Golf Course or took a wrong turn somewhere in Westridge Wood but having been tied firmly to my pack since last worn on Monday it's now no-where to be seen. I liked it, but I confess not enough to go back and look for it. After 13 miles including battling the elements today I had to let it go. If anyone happens to find it and return it, there's a free Treasure Trail on offer as a thank you, but I won't hold my breath.

By some literary miraculous coincidence we walked both past neolithic Nympsfield long barrow and through North Nibley - very helpful (I wish I could say I engineered that but I didn't).

On a separate note, in the marvellous little Trailblazer book we're following, hills are denoted not by contour lines but by little arrows, like this: ------>----- or ------>>----- the number of arrows signifying the severity of the slope and their direction, whether this is up or down. We have come to refer to these as number ones and number twos! I giggle to myself every time Stephen tells me there's a number 2 coming up but the smile doesn't last long. Both the steep uphill climbs and the steep downhill totters are opportunites for him to scamper off and leave me until I huff and puff or stumble to join him at the end. Today there have been quite a few - so my O is for Ouch.

The pricey plastic coat came out of it's little bag today too. Crumbs it was blowy up top and battling against wind and rain up steep hills is even harder work but nevertheless we've arrived at the end of day 6 intact, if a little soggy. Somehow, and I know it's ridiculous, but having past half way it DOES rather feel like we're on the downhill stretch now.

Right I'm going to have to stop - Wotton has been engulfed by a power cut and I'm running on battery power - but before I finish I thought I'd just tell you what the logo was on my baseball cap. I always thought it rather fitting, kind of summed me up really. You might recall the film and, if you'd been at Univeral Studios back then, would probably have been on the ride. It said - "The Mummy" - that's me.

Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment